Kendall Reed charged with attempted murder at Safe and Sound Senior Citizen Social Club in Gary, Indiana
February 15, 2014 (GARY, Ind.) -- A 23-year-old man was charged in connection with a shooting Wednesday night at a social club for senior citizens.
Police say Kendall Reed, 23, opened fire inside the Safe and Sound Senior Citizens Social Club in Gary, Indiana. Reed faces several charges including, attempted murder and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon.
Reed was out on parole on an armed robbery conviction at the time of the shooting. Police believed his motive was to rob people at the senior citizens club.
The shooting victims are all men between the ages of 43-76. Witnesses told police that a gunman entered the club and ordered people to drop to the ground. Shots were fired and police say at one point, one of the patrons inside shot the gunman.
In 2011, Safe and Sound Senior Citizen Social Club was raided twice for serving liquor without a license. The owner of the club, in one of the raids, was also arrested and charged for promoting professional gambling.
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand