Gary, Indiana students, teachers prep for school closures
February 25, 2014 (Gary, Ind.) (WLS) -- Gary, Indiana is preparing to shut down some schools because of low enrollment, poor academic performance and budget problems.
Some Gary schools will be closing next fall. A preliminary list has set to close Lew Wallace high school, Dunbar-Pulaski middle school and four other schools may also close including three elementary schools like Watson Boys Academy.
Talisha Willis is a Lew Wallace graduate and has two young children. She's concerned about the further reduction of public school options for Gary students.
''I went to Lew Wallace, I don't understand it,'' Willis said.
The spokeswoman for Gary Community School Corporation says the districts options are limited with families leaving the district and limited budget.
The proposed list of school closings hangs in the balance as all Indiana schools with failing test scores are required to have public hearings. Several Gary schools hold their hearings Tuesday to share with parents plans to improve education.
So, the district struggles to improve education scores for all students as its resources shrink.
In recent years, Gary has had to close schools and lay off teachers but it does not look like the city will have to lay off teachers this year. They are hoping that attrition will deal with that. The Executive Committee meets Wednesday, but of course, any final decision would have to be made in public.
indiana news, leah hope
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains 39 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
34 min ago