Inland Empire News
Community mourns slain San Bernardino County Sheriff's detective
YUCAIPA, Calif. -- San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Jeremiah MacKay was killed on the final day of the search for Christopher Dorner and was the final victim.
No funeral plans were announced Thursday. MacKay's flag-draped coffin was brought to the Mountain View Mortuary and Cemetery in San Bernardino. Flags were flown at half-staff.
Detective Jeremiah MacKay played the bagpipes. According to the Inland Empire Emerald Society, MacKay was their lead piper. The organization helps raise money for fallen officers. Their pipers are often tasked with playing at the funerals of officers. Now its members will likely honor MacKay in a similar fashion.
Outside the Yucaipa Sheriff's Station where MacKay was based, a memorial of flags, candles and flowers continues to grow.
MacKay was killed Tuesday in a gun battle near Angelus Oaks with a gunman believed to be fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner. A deputy was wounded in the shooting.
Tributes to MacKay on Facebook and elsewhere began pouring in shortly after he was identified by the sheriff's department.
MacKay's youngest child was born four months ago.
While funeral plans have yet to be announced for MacKay, the community is showing its thanks in big and small ways.
shooting, chris dorner, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- CPS school closings begin 55 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park 2 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos