Inland Empire News
Community mourns slain San Bernardino County Sheriff's detective
YUCAIPA, Calif. -- San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Jeremiah MacKay was killed on the final day of the search for Christopher Dorner and was the final victim.
No funeral plans were announced Thursday. MacKay's flag-draped coffin was brought to the Mountain View Mortuary and Cemetery in San Bernardino. Flags were flown at half-staff.
Detective Jeremiah MacKay played the bagpipes. According to the Inland Empire Emerald Society, MacKay was their lead piper. The organization helps raise money for fallen officers. Their pipers are often tasked with playing at the funerals of officers. Now its members will likely honor MacKay in a similar fashion.
Outside the Yucaipa Sheriff's Station where MacKay was based, a memorial of flags, candles and flowers continues to grow.
MacKay was killed Tuesday in a gun battle near Angelus Oaks with a gunman believed to be fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner. A deputy was wounded in the shooting.
Tributes to MacKay on Facebook and elsewhere began pouring in shortly after he was identified by the sheriff's department.
MacKay's youngest child was born four months ago.
While funeral plans have yet to be announced for MacKay, the community is showing its thanks in big and small ways.
shooting, chris dorner, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas