Inland Empire News
Riverside students witness science projects aboard SpaceX capsule launch to ISS
RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- A local high school space science engineering team was back home from Cape Canaveral, Fla., Sunday night after watching its experiments launched to the International Space Station on a SpaceX rocket.
The team of 22 students, mostly high school juniors from Riverside Christian Schools, landed at Los Angeles International Airport exhausted, but proud after becoming the first U.S. students to witness firsthand their science projects blasted off into space.
"It was breathtaking," said Andrew Dinunzio, a high school junior. "When we got to the pier and we finally watched a year's worth of blood, sweat and tears go up to the space station, everyone just kind of stopped and took a deep breath."
Two experiments they engineered, one dealing with how batteries operate in space and the other about bacteria, were aboard the SpaceX unmanned capsule nicknamed "Dragon," which arrived Sunday.
"There's only a few high schools in the entire world that have ever sent a science experiment to the International Space Station," said Bob Reinen of Riverside Christian Schools. "These are the only group of students that have actually gone and watched their own experiments be launched into space."
Aside from the experiments, the capsule was loaded with a ton of supplies, including mouse stem cells, food and clothes for the six men on board the space station.
The students, most of them high school juniors, described it as an experience of a lifetime.
"There's so much to look forward to and it's such a unique opportunity," said Emlyn Coverdale, another high school junior. "I'd have to say my favorite part was watching it go through the clouds. That was just incredible."
riverside county, technology, inland empire news, leanne suter
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 14 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 48 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash 10 min ago
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house 59 min ago
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago 42 min ago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake