Inland Empire News
Murder suspect found hiding in tree over body in San Bernardino
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A homeless man was arrested on suspicion of killing an unidentified homeless woman, whose body was found in a field in San Bernardino.
Police say the victim was found in a grassy area near Fairway Drive and E Street by a pedestrian around 6:20 a.m.
However, it's unknown exactly when the woman, identified only as white and possibly in her 40s, was killed. Detectives said she suffered blunt force trauma to her upper torso and that a dispute may have led to the crime.
Officers said they found the suspect, 47-year-old Jamie Putman, up in a tree, over the body. They got him to come down and took him to headquarters.
"That subject was transported to the San Bernardino Police Department for an interview," said police Lt. Paul Williams. "During the investigation and the interview of this subject, he has admitted to the crime in which the person was, in fact, killed at the scene."
Police said they are not searching for other suspects.
"We're very confident the person we have is responsible for this crime," Williams said.
body found, arrest, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos