Inland Empire News
Murder suspect found hiding in tree over body in San Bernardino
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A homeless man was arrested on suspicion of killing an unidentified homeless woman, whose body was found in a field in San Bernardino.
Police say the victim was found in a grassy area near Fairway Drive and E Street by a pedestrian around 6:20 a.m.
However, it's unknown exactly when the woman, identified only as white and possibly in her 40s, was killed. Detectives said she suffered blunt force trauma to her upper torso and that a dispute may have led to the crime.
Officers said they found the suspect, 47-year-old Jamie Putman, up in a tree, over the body. They got him to come down and took him to headquarters.
"That subject was transported to the San Bernardino Police Department for an interview," said police Lt. Paul Williams. "During the investigation and the interview of this subject, he has admitted to the crime in which the person was, in fact, killed at the scene."
Police said they are not searching for other suspects.
"We're very confident the person we have is responsible for this crime," Williams said.
body found, arrest, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- 4 schools to be saved from CPS closings vote 3 min ago
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs 44 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 16, killed in Back of the Yards shooting 51 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois schools lack tornado 'safe rooms'
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
- Maywood honors man who found missing toddler's body
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Addison comfort dogs headed to Moore, Okla.
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- abcnews: See Jennifer Lawrence's 'X-Men' Look
- 4 schools to be saved from CPS closings vote
3 min ago
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards...
44 min ago