Inland Empire News
Missing Fontana woman: Body found in Chino believed to be Lorna Lopez; husband arrested for murder
FONTANA, Calif. -- A body found in Chino Thursday is believed to be that of a Fontana woman who went missing earlier this week. Her husband has been arrested and charged with murder.
The body was found in the 17300 block of Cucamonga Road. The body has not been positively identified, but authorities say they have reason to believe it is 40-year-old Lorna Lopez.
Lorna Lopez's husband, 40-year-old Victor Lopez, was arrested and charged with his wife's murder after he turned himself in Thursday. Victor Lopez had been at his parents' home in Huntington Park. His parents told investigators that their son had seen reports about himself on TV and wanted to surrender to authorities. Police say Victor Lopez led them to his wife's body.
Carlos Ramos, Lorna Lopez's brother, says his sister had a very difficult relationship with her husband, and it was just this past weekend that Lorna Lopez had decided to file for divorce. Ramos said he tried to console Victor Lopez.
"I could see he was taking it hard, and he was crying, literally tears were coming from his eyes," Ramos said.
Lorna Lopez and Victor Lopez were reported missing on Wednesday. Their three children told authorities that they had not seen their parents since 7 a.m. on Tuesday at their Fontana home. Authorities say Victor Lopez was photographed at an ATM three hours later.
Neither one had any contact with family members since that time - until Thursday morning. That's when Fontana detectives arrested Victor Lopez's nephew, Joseph Rodriguez, for suspicion of being an accessory to a felony.
The 37-year-old was arrested in the 6300 block of Miles Avenue in Huntington Park after Fontana police searched his home and uncovered evidence that led them to believe foul play may have played a part in the disappearance of Lorna Lopez.
If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to contact the Fontana Police Department at (909) 350-7700.
san bernardino county, missing person, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Chicago FOP president suspended 22 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip 55 min ago
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 22 min ago
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor