Bears rookies bring holiday joy to needy families
December 15, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Bears have not had much success on the field this season, but Tuesday at Soldier Field they were big winners.
Some of the team's rookies helped deliver thousands of presents to hundreds of needy children during this season of giving.
It started out as a huge luncheon sponsored by the Bears and United Airlines for needy families from all over the Chicago area. But the luncheon was just the beginning and the Chicago Bears rookies were the main event. Thirteen first year Bears players were in the Soldier Field concourse to bring holiday joy to families in need. But the kids did the same for the players.
Mathie: A touchdown on Sunday compared to this?
"Oh man, I don't know. I haven't scored a touchdown yet so I'll have to go with the touchdown. But this is a close second," said Kahlil Bell, Chicago Bears running back.
"When you lose you just kind of put it behind you...You just come in here, you know, forget about that and just have a good time with the kids," said Al Afalava, Chicago Bears safety.
Wide receiver Johnny Knox was probably the most popular monster of the midway Santa. When you score td's they know who you are.
"This should bring joy to the us to interact with kids," said Johnny Knox, Chicago Bears wide receiver.
But the Johnny Knox autograph is still a mystery to some.
Mathie: Does he ever score touchdowns?
"Ah, well, sometimes I can't see it because I fall asleep," said Daisy Vasquez , young Bears fan.
Mathied: You fall asleep?
"Yeah, I do," said Vasquez.
There were 500 people in all at the party so it was an expensive party. United Airlines doesn't actually donate money and either do the Chicago Bears. It was all out of employees pockets.
holiday, season of giving, chicago bears, mathie, frank mathie
- 2 storms take aim at Chicago area 38 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened 4 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January 34 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found living in Montana 57 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts 9 min ago
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse 17 min ago
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Fans, former colleagues remember 'Superjock' Larry Lujack 6 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Free gift-wrapping service at O'Hare, Midway 55 min ago
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
9 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold...
34 min ago
- 'Inside Llewyn Davis' actor Oscar Isaac
6 min ago