Maggie the orangutan turns 50
July 18, 2011 (BROOKFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Happy birthday, Maggie! Brookfield Zoo's Bornean orangutan turned 50 Monday.
To celebrate, the zoo's executive chef created two birthday cake that were placed inside Maggie's exhibit, which she shares with boyfriend, Brunei, 20.
"They're going to take a peek around the exhibit and probably go straight for the cake," said Amy Coons, senior keeper. "They're made of carrots and sweet potato. About fifty pounds of carrots and ten pounds of sweet potato."
Maggie's birthday gifts included rice, oatmeal and cracked corn.
Maggie was born at San Diego Zoo in 1961 and is the fifth oldest Bornean orangutan in the world.
"I like to equate it to somebody turning a hundred years old. It's definitely possible but not everybody does it and so it's a special occasion when somebody hits a hundred," said Coons about Maggie's age in human years.
brookfield zoo, mathie, frank mathie
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood 6 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 12 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business 4 min ago
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night 1 min ago
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
6 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
12 min ago
- Aperitifs, digestifs enhance meals at Sable
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos