Maggie the orangutan turns 50
July 18, 2011 (BROOKFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Happy birthday, Maggie! Brookfield Zoo's Bornean orangutan turned 50 Monday.
To celebrate, the zoo's executive chef created two birthday cake that were placed inside Maggie's exhibit, which she shares with boyfriend, Brunei, 20.
"They're going to take a peek around the exhibit and probably go straight for the cake," said Amy Coons, senior keeper. "They're made of carrots and sweet potato. About fifty pounds of carrots and ten pounds of sweet potato."
Maggie's birthday gifts included rice, oatmeal and cracked corn.
Maggie was born at San Diego Zoo in 1961 and is the fifth oldest Bornean orangutan in the world.
"I like to equate it to somebody turning a hundred years old. It's definitely possible but not everybody does it and so it's a special occasion when somebody hits a hundred," said Coons about Maggie's age in human years.
brookfield zoo, mathie, frank mathie
- CPS school closures begin 5 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park 38 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Officials respond to reports of body in Lake Michigan 10 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- CPS school closures begin
5 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos