Proud, protective papa shows off baby gorilla
November 22, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- For the first time in six years, the Lincoln Park Zoo has a new baby gorilla. She doesn't have a name yet, but she and her mom and dad are doing just fine.
Regenstein Center for African Apes has been closed since the baby's birth last Wednesday. But on Tuesday morning it opened up again and the public got its first glimpse of the endangered little gorilla. She's the first baby for 16-year-old Bana and the first gorilla birth at Lincoln Park Zoo since 2005.
"It's the first time in six years and that's actually intentional. We've been keeping our girls on birth control for the last several years. We haven't had a breeding recommendation. We work cooperatively with all the other zoos in the country to make sure we maintain the population appropriately," Dr. Megan Ross, v.p. animal care, Lincoln Park Zoo.
Bana came to Lincoln Park Zoo from Brookfield Zoo last year to become a mom. Kwan, 22, is the father. He's a silverback lowland gorilla. Even though Kwan's in charge, Bana is raising the baby.
"Being a first time mom ... you know there are some kinks they have to work out but the baby is doing well. Nursing fine and every day getting stronger and more alert," Dominic Calderisi, lead keeper, Center for African Apes.
Baby girl and mom couldn't be doing any better. They're warm, well fed, and totally secure in Kwan's hairy hands.
"A silverback is going to be protective of his female. Protective of his offspring," Dr. Ross said.
There are eight gorillas at Lincoln Park Zoo: Kwan, his five girlfriends and two of his offspring, including the new baby.
"I think Kwan knows he is in charge of these females and he's been with those females and I'm one hundred percent sure he knows these are his offspring," Dr. Ross said.
"Silverbacks are extremely protective fathers and that's actually when they're most dangerous when they're looking after their offspring," Calderisi said. "Don't ever go in there."
lincoln park zoo, mathie, frank mathie
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 58 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Accident closes Chicago Skyway inbound lanes, 5 injured 14 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 13 min ago
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked 38 min ago
- Pope honored as Catholics gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe 56 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 44 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich's wife Patti 'feeling hopeful' for appeal
- Alleged robber shot, killed by store owner ID'd
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 20 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
58 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
13 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture...
44 min ago