Chicagoan sets out to perform 366 random acts of kindness
January 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a messy day of rain, sleet, snow and wind, what could be better than a nice, warm, free hug?
Chicagoan Ryan Garcia gave them out at State and Randolph Tuesday.
"It was a New Year's resolution. I have a newborn daughter who is 4-months-old, and I just want to set a great example for her. So every day this year, I'm going to do a different random act of kindness," Garcia said.
Because it's leap year, that means 366 days and 366 hugs. So far, Garcia is 17 good deeds for 17 days in January. You can follow his progress on his blog at 366randomacts.org. It's a long 349 days to go, so let's hope goodness has stamina and goodness wins out.
"It's just to spread kindness. Maybe someone will see this and they'll do something nice for their neighbor," Garcia said. Tuesday's hugs were one of Garcia's more lighthearted random acts. It's good for a few laughs. But most of the other 366 acts are more serious.
"For instance, I sent a letter to a soldier in Afghanistan. I'm trying to raise awareness for a cancer patient. Just a bunch of different things like that," Garcia said.
The 30-year-old sales rep knows the year is young and he could run out of ideas. So he might need help.
"So my biggest goal is that I want people who are following me on Facebook to send me their suggestions. Something that's important to them," Garcia said.
Follow Garcia or send your random acts of kindness suggestions to Garcia at http://www.366randomacts.org/.
mathie, frank mathie
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 15 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 34 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
15 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos