Chicagoan sets out to perform 366 random acts of kindness
January 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a messy day of rain, sleet, snow and wind, what could be better than a nice, warm, free hug?
Chicagoan Ryan Garcia gave them out at State and Randolph Tuesday.
"It was a New Year's resolution. I have a newborn daughter who is 4-months-old, and I just want to set a great example for her. So every day this year, I'm going to do a different random act of kindness," Garcia said.
Because it's leap year, that means 366 days and 366 hugs. So far, Garcia is 17 good deeds for 17 days in January. You can follow his progress on his blog at 366randomacts.org. It's a long 349 days to go, so let's hope goodness has stamina and goodness wins out.
"It's just to spread kindness. Maybe someone will see this and they'll do something nice for their neighbor," Garcia said. Tuesday's hugs were one of Garcia's more lighthearted random acts. It's good for a few laughs. But most of the other 366 acts are more serious.
"For instance, I sent a letter to a soldier in Afghanistan. I'm trying to raise awareness for a cancer patient. Just a bunch of different things like that," Garcia said.
The 30-year-old sales rep knows the year is young and he could run out of ideas. So he might need help.
"So my biggest goal is that I want people who are following me on Facebook to send me their suggestions. Something that's important to them," Garcia said.
Follow Garcia or send your random acts of kindness suggestions to Garcia at http://www.366randomacts.org/.
mathie, frank mathie
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side church
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- CTA Red Line reconstruction officially...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos