Shy rescue dogs need compassionate homes
February 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Fifteen dogs rescued in Mississippi were sent to the Anti-Cruelty Society. Only two remain-- Thumbelina and Ethel.
Thumbelina and Ethel, both 2 years old, are survivors of extreme animal cruelty in Mississippi, where they were rescued from a hoarding situation. While most of the dogs that arrived in Chicago on January 6 took some time to adjust, they were adopted within just a few weeks.
"The dogs all came with either behavior or medical problems. Behavior because they all lived outside and weren't socialized. And so they're very frightened of these situations," Dr. Robyn Barbiers, president of the Anti-Cruelty Society, said.
Thumbelina and Ethel are still working on those fears.
"Very, very frightened. Once she gets out of her cage and she warms up to you she will seek attention. She will play catch with some of the staff. But she's very, very scared," Dr. Barbiers said of Thumbelina.
The dogs aren't mean. They're just scared.
"It took us a long time to get her out of her cage but she's coming out of her shell. We've made a lot of progress believe it or not," Barbiers said.
After six weeks at the Anti-Cruelty Society, Thumbelina and Ethel still need homes. And with the right situation, Dr. Barbiers feels they're ready to be adopted out.
"Think of them as a diamond in the rough. They need someone with lots of love, attention, consistency and patience," Dr. Barbiers said.
Thumbelina and Ethel are available at The Anti-Cruelty Society, 157 West Grand Avenue, Chicago; (312) 644-8338. Adoption fees, which include shots and microchips, are $95. anticruelty.org
mathie, frank mathie
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...