Happy Birthday, Oreo cookie!
March 6, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- If today is your birthday, you are sharing the date with the Oreo cookie. One of the country's best-loved sweet treats was created on this date 100 years ago.
ABC 7's Frank Mathie attended a party today on Michigan Avenue.
Marilyn Monroe has never been more upstaged as she was today. At noon on Michigan Avenue the star of the show was the Oreo cookie. Kraft Foods handed them out free in honor of that mouthful of scrumptiousness, the Oreo.
"The Oreo has been around since 1912. The first cookie was sold a hundred years ago today in 1912...in Hoboken, New Jersey," said Susan Burris, senior associate brand manager for Northfield-based Kraft Foods.
From Hoboken, New Jersey, to the most popular cookie in the world. It's a recipe that basically has never changed and that's probably one reason why sales continue to rise.
Last year, over $2 billion worth of Oreos were sold worldwide. It's the treat that's fun to eat.
"I like to take it, and first I like to look at it, you know. And then after I've gotten through taking in the beauty of the cookie, I like to twist it apart like this," said Oreo lover Colin Jones.
As we all know, an Oreo cookie is not just to be eaten. You either twist and lick, or crunch it, or dunk it in milk.
What do you do?
mathie, frank mathie
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 32 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer 1 min ago