Girl Scouts celebrates 100 years
March 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One hundred years ago, Juliette Gordon Low founded the Girl Scouts, who celebrated the birthday in Daley Plaza.
ABC 7's Roz Varon, a longtime Girl Scout and leader, emceed the noontime event at the Daley Plaza where it was all about the good old-fashioned red, white and blue Girl Scouts of America. In the Chicago and Northwest Indiana, there are 87,000 Girl Scouts who are all on a mission "to make the world a better place and to make people achieve in their lives," said Girl Scout Madeline Reese.
Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout. And the numbers prove it.
The Girl Scouts started just two years after the Boy Scouts and their story is just as impressive.
Low, nicknamed Daisey, started it all on this date in 1912 in Savannah, Georgia. Just 18 girls to begin with but it was an idea that spread out across the country in just a few years. The purpose then was to help others and it still is.
"We have 59 million alums across the United States and we're thrilled to have that many people who have been influenced by the Girl Scouts," said Maria Wynne, CEO of Girl Scouts Chicago and NW Indiana. "In fact, one out of every two women in the United States has been a Girl Scout at one point or another."
"I was figuring that this summer I would help people who have disabilities," said Girl Scout Raquel Bass. "To help them get courage."
"Girl Scout alumnae earn on average $51,600 versus a non Girl Scout which is still in the mid forties. It pays off to be a Girl Scout, on my honor," said Wynne.
Some famous Girl Scout Alumni include Laura Bush, Dakota Fanning, Lucille Ball, Martha Stewart, Betty David, Hilary Clinton and Vanessa Williams.
They have declared 2012 the year of the girl, with 99 more to follow.
mathie, frank mathie
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4... 21 min ago
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room 28 min ago
- Beer lawsuit alleges hockey arena charged $3 more for same-size...
- Malaysia denies report missing plane kept flying hours after...
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- 7 in :77
37 min ago