Jokes needed! Site collects smiles for cancer patient
April 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Miles Austrevich, 19, will undergo a stem cell transplant in Los Angeles in his battle against brain cancer. So his father is collecting jokes to make Miles smile during his recovery.
Five thousand jokes, to be exact. So far they have hundreds. And they hope to get a big boost from The Laugh Factory, located at 3175 N. Broadway in Chicago, which has started its 30-hour Joke-A-Thon.
"It's pretty awesome. It's kind of nice to see my face really big up in lights, Austrevich said. "On Broadway, exactly."
On May 7, Miles will be in Los Angeles for a stem cell transplant and after that he will be in isolation for three to six months -- and his best friend will be his computer .
"Because he's going to be in there I'm trying up load jokes on line that he can watch during his recovery because he's going to be 2000 miles away from family and friends," Len Austrevich, Miles' father, said.
Jokes4Miles.com has already been in operation since January and hundreds of jokes have been posted. So this is open to everyone with a good clean story. And for miles it should relieve the loneliness.<p "Hopefully my parents will be able to come out there a little bit ... but ... I think I will be alone for part of it," Austrevich said. "I will have the jokes and that'll be a great way to keep connected."
"The short riddles, knock-knock jokes, puns ... anything," Len said. "Anything that will put a smile on his face."
"Things aren't going so well and he'll show me a joke that he just got in and it completely brightens my mood," Austrevich said.
The Laugh Factory will record the 30-hour Joke-A-Thon and post them to Miles' website to help collect laughter, the best medicine.
mathie, frank mathie
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD at Fullerton
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 1 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans 18 min ago