Xtreme BUGS at Brookfield Zoo
May 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 33-foot-long Japanese hornet in the western suburbs! That's pretty scary except for the fact that it's at Brookfield Zoo and is part of a new exhibit called Xtreme BUGS.
Supersized bugs are crawling around Brookfield Zoo. The Xtreme BUGS exhibit runs from May 19 to September. They're bigger than the bugs in your Jurassic Park nightmares.
"We're doing this because bugs are usually animals that people recoil from ... or even if you mention their name they go oooooewww. They tend to forget how tightly they're tied to our daily lives," Andre Copeland, Brookfield Zoo programs manager, said.
The show was created exclusively for Brookfield Zoo and this is the first time they've been on display. Twenty animatronics giant bugs and over a hundred stationary insects. And in a large tent we find "Harry's Big Adventure ... My Bug World". And this is where your bugs are for real. All sorts of creepy little things that crawl and make your skin crawl. There's even a Madagascar hissing cockroach race.
"Oh it's just a little trick and I've been training them for awhile... Actually you tap them on the butt and they go. Ha, ha, ha," Jerrod Coates, cockroach race announcer, said.
Don't eat before you come to Xtreme BUGS because there's plenty to chow down on here. Bug chef Zack Lemann stirred up a batch of goodies for us.
"I've got crispy Cajun crickets at least that's the name of the dish. These are house crickets," Zack Lemann, bug chef, said. "Yes people around the world eat bugs out of necessity and also because they taste good."
They taste good? Try them out for yourself at Brookfield Zoo -- through September 2012.
brookfield zoo, mathie, frank mathie
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit 13 min ago
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Expanded World News tonight
- Schaumburg couple injured in Oklahoma tornado 31 min ago
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68 25 min ago
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder 16 min ago
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 3 dolphins pregnant at Brookfield Zoo
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison 7 min ago
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
21 min ago
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006...
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos