Xtreme BUGS at Brookfield Zoo
May 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 33-foot-long Japanese hornet in the western suburbs! That's pretty scary except for the fact that it's at Brookfield Zoo and is part of a new exhibit called Xtreme BUGS.
Supersized bugs are crawling around Brookfield Zoo. The Xtreme BUGS exhibit runs from May 19 to September. They're bigger than the bugs in your Jurassic Park nightmares.
"We're doing this because bugs are usually animals that people recoil from ... or even if you mention their name they go oooooewww. They tend to forget how tightly they're tied to our daily lives," Andre Copeland, Brookfield Zoo programs manager, said.
The show was created exclusively for Brookfield Zoo and this is the first time they've been on display. Twenty animatronics giant bugs and over a hundred stationary insects. And in a large tent we find "Harry's Big Adventure ... My Bug World". And this is where your bugs are for real. All sorts of creepy little things that crawl and make your skin crawl. There's even a Madagascar hissing cockroach race.
"Oh it's just a little trick and I've been training them for awhile... Actually you tap them on the butt and they go. Ha, ha, ha," Jerrod Coates, cockroach race announcer, said.
Don't eat before you come to Xtreme BUGS because there's plenty to chow down on here. Bug chef Zack Lemann stirred up a batch of goodies for us.
"I've got crispy Cajun crickets at least that's the name of the dish. These are house crickets," Zack Lemann, bug chef, said. "Yes people around the world eat bugs out of necessity and also because they taste good."
They taste good? Try them out for yourself at Brookfield Zoo -- through September 2012.
brookfield zoo, mathie, frank mathie
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead 44 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign 59 min ago
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77