Brookfield Zoo welcomes baby bison
May 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- About 120 years ago, the American bison almost disappeared from the earth. But now the Great Plains animal thrives.
Those conservation efforts are on exhibit at Brookfield Zoo, where a female calf was born on May 16. That means the herd of six is now a herd of seven.
Zookeepers knew Leotie, 3, was pregnant, but were surprised when the baby showed up -- suddenly.
"She gets up and she's immediately part of the herd," Amy Roberts, curator of mammals, said. "Yes, we weren't there but I imagine it was less than 20 minutes that she was up and completely active and able to follow mom."
The 40-pound calf doesn't have a name yet, but she does have a personality. She's rambunctious and full of energy. She's the first bison born at Brookfield Zoo in 40 years.
"The first since the 1970's. We chose not to breed for a long time because we really didn't have the best exhibit for them. Now we have this big, large, beautiful, appropriate exhibit we plan to start breeding bison again," Roberts said.
In the mid-1800s, as many as 50 million bison roamed the western plains. But by 1890, that number was down to less than 1,000. The animal had been slaughtered by hunters.
"This is the story of the American West and how we nearly drove the bison to extinction and now how they've come back from the brink of extinction," Roberts said.
The giant bison were shot dead for their hides- not their meat- and then the babies were left on the prairie to die. But the killing of bison was eventually outlawed.
"I hope we've learned our lesson that even if something seems countless and there seems to be so many of them that everything is not inexhaustible and you have to be careful and mange your resources," Roberts said.
About 500,000 bison live on ranches, tribal lands and protected park. Or, about 500,001 -- with the Brookfield baby.
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path 49 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan 25 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 20 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string 18 min ago
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014 59 min ago
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
- AAPL shareholders to see Apple stock split
- ABC7 to Go
23 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square...
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos