It's a boy! Shedd's baby dolphin 2 weeks old
June 12, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The new baby dolphin at Shedd Aquarium doesn't have a name yet, but the staff might consider calling him ''Lucky.''
That's because his chances of survival were slim. But the Pacific white-sided dolphin calf is doing just fine. And so is his mom, Piquet.
The baby boy just turned 2-weeks old and skips the scale at about 30 pounds. Dolphin births are risky business, but Shedd staffers say things couldn't be going any better.
"There's a lot of milestones we look for. We look for nursing right after birth. We look for weight gain which we're seeing. We look for independence from the calf. We look for him to be able to swim on his own, dive on his down. He's doing all of those things," Kim Ramirez, executive vice president of animal care and training, said.
Zoo officials determined the calf was male while he was nursing.
At 24, Piquet is a first time mom. For her to have a healthy calf is very surprising; in the wild about 90-percent of all calves born to first time moms don't survive. Dolphins learn from other dolphins how to raise a baby, which is why Piquet went to Florida.
"We sent her to Miami on a little vacation where she became pregnant. And while she was there she was swimming with another mother and calf and she got to see that," Ramirez said.
And that's helping this little guy thrive.
"He's got lots of energy. He swims off on his own. Very independent," Ramirez said.
And that's good, according to the Shedd staff. It also means Piquet is back in her training sessions -- and the calf is doing well keeping up and learning to dive and build his muscles.
mathie, frank mathie
Also SeePhotos:Zoo baby photos!
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 14 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum 19 min ago
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 3 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Larkin High School poms squad honored 20 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day 21 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
13 min ago