Halloween masks flying off shelves at Chicago costume shop
October 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Be yourself- except on Halloween. Then you should be a princess. Or a superhero.
That is, if you're a kid.
"As we were all kids once we liked to be super heroes. The girls loved to be princesses. So that stays the same every year. As adults we're looking for the wild and crazy. What's new, what's hot, what's in the news," Chuck Giovenco, Fantasy Costumes, said.
What's hot for adults -- more and more of them are dressing up, Giovenco sayd -- at Fantasy Costumes on Milwaukee just north of Irving Park are masks. All different kinds, some of them are expensive. Why they're selling is anyone's guess.
"I have no idea," John Helmer, Fantasy Costumes, said. "Fantastic sales this year. We're probably up four times from what we were last year. They're just flying off the shelves."
Two masks that are flying off the shelves: Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama.
"Sales between President Obama's mask and the Mitt Romney mask is about a 50/50 split with about a 4-percent margin of error," Helmer said. "Sometimes they buy them because they like them and sometimes because they want to make fun of them. So we never know."
Giovenco said Halloween shopping will pick up speed in the next days.
" We've been rocking and rolling the past week and expect it to become very busy this coming weekend. As people prepare for Halloween parties," Giovenco said.
mathie, frank mathie
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 13 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
13 min ago