Shedd's 'Penguin Hops' beer on tap at Revolution Brewery
November 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Revolution Brewery is using hops from Shedd Aquarium's gardens to brew a new beer -- Penguin Hops.
"In our gardens we have lots of native plants. We have lots of vegetables to show people what that looks like and we have hops," Christine Nye, horticulture manager at Shedd Aquarium, said. "The stuff that beer is made of."
The aquarium planted the hops there several years ago, but this year suddenly there was a bumper crop.
"They went crazy," Nye said.
But what good are hops without a brewery? That's like a penguin without water. So Revolution Brewery on Chicago's Northwest Side came into the picture. That's where the magic brews the hops - and water, malt and yeast - into beer. They're calling it Penguin Hops.
"That's the name the Shedd Aquarium came up with," Wil Turner, head brewer, said. "We were contacted by them and they said they were growing their own hops outside. And they asked if we would be interested in doing a beer with them. Absolutely."
Revolution has produced 30 half barrels of Penguin Hops.
"It's got a nice, tangerine like hop character to it in the aroma. It follows through onto the pallet with a bit of a dry malt character," Turner said. "There are no traces of penguin that I can perceive."
For every $5 pint sold, $1 goes to Shedd Aquarium .
2323 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
shedd aquarium, mathie, frank mathie
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos