Free Twinkies with order at Baby's restaurants in Orland Park, Country Club Hills
December 5, 2012 (ORLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Finding a Hostess Twinkie is not easy to do these days since the bakery has gone out of business. But Frank Mathie found a lot of them Wednesday in the southwest suburbs.Original Baby's Cheesesteak and Lemonade restaurants in Orland Park and Country Club Hills the gold rush is on for golden Twinkies. They stood in line Wednesday morning waiting for the doors to open.
It was a simple deal. Eat at Baby's Wednesday and you get one free Twinkie with your order. But where did they get all these fattening cream filled sponge cakes? Well, when Hostess went out of business, the owners here went to the nearest Hostess outlet store.
"I went to the store and they had them, and Boom! I bought them," said owner Hani Sughayer. "I bought them all. There and in the back room...Ten-thousand of them."
"We decided to create a Twinkie buzz. And by a Twinkie buzz it's giving them away for free. And when you give them away for free you bring the people."
The Twinkie was invented in 1930 in Schiller Park, Illinois. It was a Depression-era snack . Now they're gone, thanks to those health food nuts who are changing our diets.
But maybe those health foodies are right. A package of Twinkies has 290 calories and almost no nutritional value.
Says one Baby's customer: "That's what makes them good."
mathie, frank mathie
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake