Man does random acts of kindess for strangers
December 11, 2012 (WLS) -- If you ran into a man named Ryan Garcia this past year, there's a high possibility he did something nice for you.
That's because Garcia vowed to spend each day of the year doing nice things for complete strangers.
It's the final days of a New Year's resolution to do 366 random acts of kindness for 2012.
On Tuesday, it was free candy canes and a holiday wish for anyone passing by Daley Plaza.
Passersby said it made their day lighter to know there are people like Garcia doing good for others.
"It's been the most incredible year of my life. It's something that ... I've been emotional at times. I've been sad, happy, crazy but in all it's just been incredible," said Garcia.
Garcia has never missed a day doing something nice.
"It's just been amazing how many people are open to kindness and how many opportunities there are for kindness in our world," said Garcia.
Garcia even posed as a homeless man on a street corner to experience how it feels. Then, he donated money to a homeless man who was sitting nearby.
When ABC7's Frank Mathie met Garcia for the first time in January, he was just beginning his long mission. On that day, he was in front of Macy's, handing out free hugs.
"I've learned there are so many chances and opportunities for people to be kind to one another. And there are so many people in need of kindness and help. If everyone just did one thing for somebody else I think the world around us would change," said Garcia.
Garcia, 31, is a sales rep, husband and father who has had more than 10,000 hits on his personal blog, 366randomacts.org. At 10 cents a hit, that's over $1,000 he has donated to charity.
You can read about every one of Garcia's adventures on his blog. It's an amazing story of how hard he has worked, just to be the ultimate nice guy.
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 3 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 3 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 57 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant 54 min ago
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape 57 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
3 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos