Leafcutter ants cut and chomp away at Notebaert Nature Museum
December 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- There are only two species on the earth that farm: humans and leaf cutter ants, according to scientists.
Thousands of leaf cutter ants are farming away at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum in Chicago's Lincoln Park.
It might be the beginning of winter outside but inside the museum, it's the middle of summer with an exhibit called "Backyard Monsters".
Huge versions of those tiny creatures that live in our yards are featured. But not everything here is supersized-not the leafcutter ants.
The leafcutter ants are alive and well, chomping and carrying into their ant underworld.
"They cut the leaf and they carry it in and they mash it up and they grow fungus on top of it," the invertebrate specialist at the museum Karen Wilson said. "That's what they eat and that's what they feed their babies mostly."
Their jaws vibrate at about a thousand times per second to harvest the crop. The ants carry up to fifty times their own weight transporting the leaves into their tunnels. That's like a 200 pound man carrying ten thousand pounds.
"They're farmers. They actually provide the fertilizer. They provide the pest control, their own antibiotics. Everything," Wilson said.
The ant queen hides away in her fungus castle and in her 10 to 15 years, she will produce over 150 million offspring. It's the female ants that do all the work from harvesting to baby raising. The men only show up for mating and then they die.
The "Backyard Monsters" exhibit is open through January but the ants are now permanent residents.
mathie, frank mathie
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 54 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 34 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 53 min ago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions 24 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children 6 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 31 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 34 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
21 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
31 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
34 min ago