Which winter hat is the best?
January 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- it's one of those days that hurts. Jack Frost is nipping at your nose and ears and all exposed skin.
It's been a long time since the hawk has blown into Chicago like this. Wind chill breezes are on the attack, and the Chicago River looks like it might actually begin to freeze. It's time for the cold weather battle gear - hats and scarfs from the back of the closet.
"I'm actually using a hat and my hood on top because I'm from Argentina and down there now it's 100 degrees. So it's kind of different," said one man.
One man said he's got a beard to keep warm.
"That's the reason I'm growing it. I grow it until the temperature gets above 50 for three days running. So this will stay with me until then, and I shave all my hair off... I'm not embarrassed to wear this at all," he said.
"You've got to cover up the face and the neck, otherwise you're toast. Or you're toast if you have this on, it's nice and toasty... It's kind of a Batman, bank robber look, isn't it?" said one man.
The cold weather hat game has absolutely no rules and no regulations. The fashion police do not exist.
"I'm from Wyoming, and it's a trappers hat," said one pedestrian.
And away she goes, off to trap another cold weather hat reporter.
So it's different hats for different heads, and as long as it works that's great. However, what about those people who don't wear hats at all? What are they thinking?
"There's no way I'm going to wear a hat," said one pedestrian whose ears were purple.
mathie, frank mathie
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates