Which winter hat is the best?
January 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- it's one of those days that hurts. Jack Frost is nipping at your nose and ears and all exposed skin.
It's been a long time since the hawk has blown into Chicago like this. Wind chill breezes are on the attack, and the Chicago River looks like it might actually begin to freeze. It's time for the cold weather battle gear - hats and scarfs from the back of the closet.
"I'm actually using a hat and my hood on top because I'm from Argentina and down there now it's 100 degrees. So it's kind of different," said one man.
One man said he's got a beard to keep warm.
"That's the reason I'm growing it. I grow it until the temperature gets above 50 for three days running. So this will stay with me until then, and I shave all my hair off... I'm not embarrassed to wear this at all," he said.
"You've got to cover up the face and the neck, otherwise you're toast. Or you're toast if you have this on, it's nice and toasty... It's kind of a Batman, bank robber look, isn't it?" said one man.
The cold weather hat game has absolutely no rules and no regulations. The fashion police do not exist.
"I'm from Wyoming, and it's a trappers hat," said one pedestrian.
And away she goes, off to trap another cold weather hat reporter.
So it's different hats for different heads, and as long as it works that's great. However, what about those people who don't wear hats at all? What are they thinking?
"There's no way I'm going to wear a hat," said one pedestrian whose ears were purple.
mathie, frank mathie
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials 39 min ago
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign 14 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- 7 in 77
- John Hancock observatory to Tilt
58 min ago