Paczki Day in Chicago: Polish tradition, Fat Tuesday indulgence
February 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Paczki Day is the busiest day of the year at Delightful Pastries, an authentic Polish bakery in Chicago.
Paczki are prevalent in Chicago, but the best are at authentic polish bakeries, like Delightful Pastries on West Lawrence.
Call if Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday or Paczki Day- it's a celebration of sweetness and calories and tongue-pleasing pleasure at Delightful Pastries. Lent begins tomorrow, and so does fasting from many of the good things in life.
"Paczki are Polish jelly filled donuts that we serve during Mardi Gras week," Dobra Bielinski, owner, Delightful Pastries, said.
But, of course, paczki are really much more than that. They are all the things that make mouths water. All the things we are not supposed to eat. Face it, they are basically donuts fried in oil that are then filled with more stuff we're not supposed to eat. But, eat them we do -- in big numbers.
Ray Helm bought six. He gets five. The other one, well, who's that for? "My wife," he said.
Delightful Pastries is a small, neighborhood bakery. But every year at paczki time they turn out an incredible number of treats.
"So far we have made 24,482," Stacia Hawryszczuk said. "I can feel by my hands. I know how many I make."
The paczki tradition goes back to the late 1700's and a Polish king who loved paczki so much he made them the official pre-Lenten sweet treat.
mathie, frank mathie
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court 53 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 47 min ago
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos