Hadiya Pendleton's injured friend Lawrence Sellers speaks
February 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The surviving Chicago teenager who was shot alongside his friend Hadiya Pendleton speaks about the ordeal.
Lawrence Sellers is recovering from a gunshot wound to the leg.
As two suspects are charged in the shooting death of 15-year-old Pendleton, Sellers is adapting to using crutches.
"I've been trying to do well but there are some moments when reality hits me and I just feel sad," he said.
Sellers and a group fellow King College Prep students had tried to escape the gunfire at a South Side park. Sellers had pushed his friend Danetria Hutson out of the way, when he was shot in the leg.
His friend Pendleton was killed in the shooting.
"You never know what can happen... I bet Hadiya felt the same way I felt right now, and now she is gone," he said.
The teens say they are changed by the violence. Despite much attention to this case, even by President Obama, they say they still live with a deeper personal understanding of fear.
"I feel like no one cares. Until it got to the President, I feel like no one would have done a thing about it," said Hutson.
"It's really unfortunate. There are so many stories of kids getting shot and dying. Good kids... It's just not fair," said Sellers.
mathie, leah hope
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting 30 min ago
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Andersonville's Hopleaf expands gastropub menu
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos