Stone Age uncovered at Field Museum
March 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Who were the greatest artists of all time? Picasso? The great masters? Cavemen from 20,000 years ago?
Travel back in time at the Field Museum. The newest exhibit includes cave paintings from caves in Lascaux, France.
"The paintings you see here in Lascaux Cave are exact, and I mean exact. They are 3-D images that were taken, and photographs, wonderful photographs and the paintings were done by artists," Dr. Jim Phillips, curator, The Field Museum, said.
So, it's almost as if the Lascaux cave was packed up and shipped to Chicago. Same colors, same dimensions. It's exactly the way it was when in 1940 Marcel Ravidat and three teenage friends found the cave while searching for a lost dog. The scientific world went crazy about Stone Age man, some 20,000 years ago, being such great artists.
"It looks to me just like Picasso was doing it," Dr. Phillips said. "A wonderful artist who Understood how to draw figures."
"They used pigments. Magnesium and iron ore for the red and orange and other naturally occurring pigments," Dr. Bob Martin, curator, Field Museum, said.
Many scientists believe the paintings were part of a ritual that helped the ancient hunters in their search for food.
The exhibit runs through September 8.
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 40 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- ABC7 to Go, March 12, 2014
58 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
40 min ago