Photos capture melting Fulton Market Cold Storage building
April 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- For over 90 years, the old Fulton Market Cold Storage building stood untouched at 1000 W. Fulton.
But now, it has been totally gutted and is undergoing a complete transformation by the Sterling Bay Development Firm.
"We're converting this old cold storage building to high tech commercial office space," said Patrick O'Connor, Sterling Bay construction director. "So this will all be modern offices when we're all done with it in a year and a half."
Since the early 1920's, the building was used to store perishable items before they were shipped out to wholesalers and retailers. It was an extremely successful business that has now moved to a modern facility in the suburbs.
Sterling Bay bought the Fulton Market Cold Storage building last fall. They planned to start construction immediately.
But when they walked in, they found ice... Lots of ice.
"When we first came in, it was still frozen solid," said O'Connor. "Like walking into the inside of your own freezer."
The firm needed to melt the ice, but first they called in photographer Gary R. Jenson to shoot still photographs of the process.
Jensen obviously saw much more than just ice.
"He really saw a work of art," said O'Connor. "He did a great job in shooting the conditions as well as anyone could have. He really documented for all time what we found when we first came through. It was as unique a space as you could find with ice hanging from the ceiling and frozen around the columns."
The total meltdown took almost 4 weeks. All that was left behind were the beautiful photos taken by Jensen -- which, by the way, will be used to decorate the new building when it reopens sometime in 2014.
mathie, frank mathie
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 42 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 41 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home 24 min ago
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 14 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
42 min ago