Blackhawks 'Superfan' Bob Gertenrich attends 2,000 straight home games
June 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- What does Blackhawks Superfan Bob Gertenrich do the morning after Chicago clinches the Stanley Cup? He watches the replays. Of course.
And that victory is still so sweet.
"And they still won," Gertenrich said. "It's the best day of my life right now. . . Totally amazing that they could get those goals in that short of a span."
The 67-year-old Gertenrich has attended 2,000-straight home Blackhawks games. His Skokie apartment is filled with Blackhawks memorabilia. But he watched the Game 6 victory at a friend's house in Morton Grove.
" We just had pizza and a couple of beers and watched them win. And then after I got home I went out and had a couple more and talked it over with my friends," Gertenrich said.
Gertenrich's saved ticket stubs from every home game since January 23, 1966. That's 2,155 games.
"[This stub] is from the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final in 1971," Gertenrich said. "The price then was $5.25."
And now? "$150," Gertenrich laughed. He's got tickets for Wednesday's game- Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. The game that won't be played because the Hawks clinched it in Game 6.
"I can keep them because I keep all of them. You don't have to give them back. Years ago we had to throw them back. But now they don't do that. We can keep them now," Gertenrich said.
He gets a refund as a down payment on next year.
mathie, frank mathie
- Fire at building, church in Gary, Indiana 49 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- 2015 Ford Mustang unveiling celebrates 50 years 17 min ago
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
- Fire at building, church in Gary, Indiana
49 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos