Why do Americans rally around royal baby boy?
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The newest prince of England was introduced around the world, and many in the United States of America are cheering. Why?
He has been the world's biggest story since his birth Monday. Kate Middleton and Prince William's son is not just a blessed event, but a royal family blessed event.
Congratulations to Will and Kate on the new baby boy! But, we Americans fought a war 237 years ago so we wouldn't have to bow down to the crown. So why are we so excited?
Loyola University history professor Robert Bucholz thinks that even though we have a president and first lady, Americans are missing something.
"I think if you really want to boil it down it comes down to the fact that we miss not having a national grandmother," Prof. Robert Bucholz, Loyola University history professor, said. "The royal family serves that purpose."
Most of all, of course, the royal family is fabulously wealthy, and famous.
"Some people just love celebrities. On that level this is not that different from the latest happenings from Lindsey Lohan or Brittany Spears," Bucholz said.
One man summed it up.
"Thousands and hundreds of thousands of new babies are as important as he is that are born every day, so I wish the best for every new born baby," one Chicagoan said.
A future king couldn't say it any better.
mathie, frank mathie
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand