Why do Americans rally around royal baby boy?
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The newest prince of England was introduced around the world, and many in the United States of America are cheering. Why?
He has been the world's biggest story since his birth Monday. Kate Middleton and Prince William's son is not just a blessed event, but a royal family blessed event.
Congratulations to Will and Kate on the new baby boy! But, we Americans fought a war 237 years ago so we wouldn't have to bow down to the crown. So why are we so excited?
Loyola University history professor Robert Bucholz thinks that even though we have a president and first lady, Americans are missing something.
"I think if you really want to boil it down it comes down to the fact that we miss not having a national grandmother," Prof. Robert Bucholz, Loyola University history professor, said. "The royal family serves that purpose."
Most of all, of course, the royal family is fabulously wealthy, and famous.
"Some people just love celebrities. On that level this is not that different from the latest happenings from Lindsey Lohan or Brittany Spears," Bucholz said.
One man summed it up.
"Thousands and hundreds of thousands of new babies are as important as he is that are born every day, so I wish the best for every new born baby," one Chicagoan said.
A future king couldn't say it any better.
mathie, frank mathie
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 56 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions tickets to be given away free in Chicago 23 min ago
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- Doritos wings, Mountain Dew dipping sauce could come to BWW
- Winter weather advisories issued as snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy 34 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington...
56 min ago