Highwood Pumpkin Fest attempts to break record
October 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Village of Highwood will attempt to break the Guinness Book of World Records for 32,000 pumpkins lit at the same time this weekend at the Highwood Pumpkin Fest.
How many people does it take to carve 32,000 pumpkins?
According to the Village of Highwood, it takes thousands of volunteers to do the carving.
But first, all of the pumpkins have to be scooped out.
Scooping out 32,000 pumpkins is enough to make peter, peter pumpkin eater a very tired boy, but at the Highwood Public Works, that's exactly what's happening.
Volunteers are removing the seeds and the goop from enough pumpkins to get them ready for a big-time world record.
"We're going to try and break and Guinness Book of World Records for 32,000 pumpkins all lit at the same time, this weekend, starting Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday," said Eric Falberg, founder of Highwood Pumpkin Fest.
Volunteers have been at this job since last Friday and they still have a long way to go. But for those who are carving the orange beauties, at least the sloppy part of the job is done.
"We're scooping out all the junk from the pumpkins so you don't have to worry about anything when you get down there," said Falberg.
So who carves?
"Anyone who comes to the event carves," said Falberg.
Starting Thursday through Saturday, they're hoping thousands of people show up to sculpt their own creations and for just $2 dollars, they can carve as many as they want.
By Friday night, the 32,000 pumpkins will be up on scaffolding. On Saturday night, they will light them all to set the record.
But, Guinness is very strict about their world records.
"At 7:00 p.m. we start lighting the pumpkins, and at 7:30 p.m. we start counting the unlit pumpkins. We subtract the unlit pumpkins from the lit pumpkins and at 7:35 p.m. we have the total lit pumpkins in accordance with the Guinness Book of World Records," said Elliott, chief witness for the Guinness Record Book.
The current record is 30,128, but Highwood hopes to be smashing pumpkins record in a big way.
mathie, frank mathie
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 50 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 41 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 21 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 40 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 18 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 21 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
50 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
18 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
21 min ago