Dogs, owners enter world of DNA science
November 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- DNA has been used to free the innocent from prison, it has solved ancient mysteries and now, DNA is helping to find out the identity of dog owners who are not picking up after their pets.
Dogs and their owners have now entered the world of DNA science and it's happening at a new apartment community called, The Springs at 127th Street in Plainfield.
It's a gated community of 340 units and that adds up to about 130 dogs in this complex. And now all those dogs are being swabbed for DNA samples.
''We're collecting DNA samples to eliminate the waste problem on our property,'' said Meghan McLean, manager at 127th Street.
DNA samples will be sent to Bio Pet Laboratories in Knoxville, Tennessee and the information will be put on file.
Now, as we all know, almost all dog owners do pick up after their dogs, but for some reason, some just can't do it.
And when that happens and the maintenance crew here finds the doggie "doo doo" Just to make it easier on you viewers, we have substituted some chocolate candy for the real stuff. And this is where the plot thickens.
''When poop is found that also is sent in to our laboratory and when there's a match made the resident is contacted and fined by the community,'' said Mike Stone, president of PooPrints Chicago.
You've got the poop-itraitor?
''We do,'' Stone said.
mathie, frank mathie
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 30 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment 16 min ago
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 15 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 42 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 44 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All