New Jersey News
Newark drug suspect fatally shot by sheriff's officers
NEWARK -- Authorities say a suspect was fatally shot by Essex County Sheriff's officers during a drug investigation in Newark Wednesday afternoon.
According to the Essex County Prosecutor's Office, the county sheriff's department was conducting the investigation near West 4th Street and North 9th Street when they attempted to arrest a suspect at about 1:15 p.m.
Prosecutors say the suspect fled on foot, leading to a chase, and as the officers approached the suspect he reached for a gun.
Officers fired two shots, killing the suspect, 22-year old Jose Quinonez of Newark.
A loaded gun was recovered at the scene and suspected narcotics were later found on the man who was shot.
The prosecutor's office says a crowd gathered as the incident unfolded, and authorities contacted members of the Newark Clergy Alliance who responded to the scene to speak with residents and the family and to quell tensions.
The names of the sheriff's officers involved in the shooting have not yet been released. They were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...