New Jersey News
EMT stabbed in fake call made to get drugs
HOBOKEN, N.J. -- An EMT worker rushing to give emergency aid suddenly became a victim herself when she was stabbed by someone she thought she was going to help.
The victim was released from the hospital Thursday night but has asked for privacy.
26-year-old Jaleel Steed was responding a call on Marshall Drive Wednesday afternoon when a man grabbed her and demanded drugs.
When the Hoboken EMT told her attacker she didn't back have what he wanted he stabbed her and ran down the stairs.
Fellow EMTs tried to help but police say it happened in a matter of seconds.
Alice Steed says her sister is resting.
"She took on this job to save people's lives and she turned out to be one who needed help," said Alice Steed, the victim's sister.
Turns out it was a phony call, a set up to get pharmaceutical drugs.
The volunteer EMT was taken back to Jersey City Medical Center in her own ambulance and is expected to make a full recovery.
"You're not going to let certain (things) interfere with her work. She'll keep working. She loves what she does," Alice Steed said.
Police are now tracing the original call.
The suspect is described a 5'8" tall man with a thin build.
He's still on the loose and no knife has been recovered.
new jersey news, new jersey, hoboken, stabbing, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 30 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert 25 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 7 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
7 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
30 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
25 min ago