New York News
Father of terror suspect calls claims 'racist conspiracy'
NEW YORK -- The father of the man accused of plotting to blow up the Federal Reserve in Manhattan, is speaking out about his son.
Emotional and holding a picture of Quazi Nafis, Quazi Muhammad 'Ahn-San-Ullah describes his son as gentle and incapable of the accusations against him.
From his home in Bangladesh, Ahn-San-Ullah calls the claims that the 21-year-old planned to detonate explosives outside of the New York federal reserve bank, a racist conspiracy .
The shocked father explains that his son convinced him to spend his life savings so he could get a better education in the United States.
Nafis moved in January and for one semester studied cyber-security at Southeast Missouri State University.
When that school allowed him to transfer his records to another still-undisclosed school in July, Nafis moved to a cousin's second story apartment in Jamaica, Queens.
Boxes upon boxes of evidence have already been hauled away from the home on 93rd Avenue and 172nd street-by federal investigators.
Outside, a symbol of the country Nafis is accused of vowing to destroy still hangs and neighbors, who describe the suspect as quiet yet friendly are still in disbelief.
"I wouldn't in my wildest dreams think he'd do something like that," said Anthony Anglin.
LINK: READ CRIMINAL COMPLAINT being with us for a long time to come."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, terrorism, al qaida, quazi mohammad rezwanul ahsan nafis, quazi nafis, new york news
- Snow blankets city, suburbs 15 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary