New York News
1st wedding after Sandy for church in Breezy Point
NEW YORK -- Tracy Ann Rutter got married in Breezy Point Friday, to Richard Whalen. It was the first wedding at St. Thomas More Church since the storm, and after all that misery, all that loss, folks needed a little of this.
"We can get wind, we can get fire, we can get flooded, but you're not going to kill love," said Msgr. Michael Curran, pastor.
Well, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Fire and flood devastated Breezy Point during the storm, scores of homes destroyed. And many in this enclave of first responders find themselves now rummaging through donations at St. Thomas More for food and clothes. It has been the roughest of times.
There were a lot of good reasons to cancel or at least delay this wedding for a while, but the couple in the end decided that it meant too much to too many people, as everyone needed a little bit of happiness right now.
"I love Tracy, she's my heart and soul, and having it in Breezy means a lot to me personally and to a lot of people just moving on you know, and recovering," said Richard Whelan, the groom.
"I wouldn't have it any other way," said Tracy Rutter, the bride.
And so Richard and Tracy went ahead.
The bride and groom are both firefighters. In fact, Tracy was dropped off at the church in a fire truck.
For a community of first responders, it was a perfect step forward.
"We took a tremendous hit, so many people are suffering, but at the same time it's a time for the community for its real strength to be shown," Msgr. Curran said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hurricane sandy, wedding, new york news, jim dolan
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 55 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Accident closes Chicago Skyway inbound lanes, 5 injured 11 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 10 min ago
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked 35 min ago
- Pope honored as Catholics gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe 53 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 41 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich's wife Patti 'feeling hopeful' for appeal
- Alleged robber shot, killed by store owner ID'd
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 17 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
55 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
10 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture...
41 min ago