New York News
Port Authority agents help deliver baby in Holland Tunnel
NEW YORK -- A baby boy was delivered in the Holland Tunnel Wednesday morning, a special rush-hour delivery made with the help of Port Authority agents.
The frantic father, identified as Abdel Elkarhat, ran for the help when the mother went into labor while in the tunnel, near the New York side, just after 7 a.m.
Port Authority agents George McCann and his partner Jean Bernard rushed to the car.
They carefully helped new mom Soukaina Nekhlaoui deliver the baby boy and even created an "oxygen tent" around the baby to protect the newborn from car fumes.
Both the mother, from Lodi, New Jersey, and little Nassim Mohammed Elkarhat were taken to New York Downtown Hospital in stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, holland tunnel, new york news
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
54 min ago
- Calumet Fisheries smokes, fries fish on...
50 min ago