New York News
Port Authority agents help deliver baby in Holland Tunnel
NEW YORK -- A baby boy was delivered in the Holland Tunnel Wednesday morning, a special rush-hour delivery made with the help of Port Authority agents.
The frantic father, identified as Abdel Elkarhat, ran for the help when the mother went into labor while in the tunnel, near the New York side, just after 7 a.m.
Port Authority agents George McCann and his partner Jean Bernard rushed to the car.
They carefully helped new mom Soukaina Nekhlaoui deliver the baby boy and even created an "oxygen tent" around the baby to protect the newborn from car fumes.
Both the mother, from Lodi, New Jersey, and little Nassim Mohammed Elkarhat were taken to New York Downtown Hospital in stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, holland tunnel, new york news
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos