New York News
Elderly man critical after being trapped in elevator
EAST HARLEM -- An 85-year-old man is in critical condition following an elevator accident in Harlem Sunday night.
The incident happened at the Wilson Houses on 105th Street just after 5 p.m.
Firefighters say the man was trapped in an elevator between the first and second floors and is suffering from a leg fracture after most of his body was trapped inside the elevator as his feet dangled outside between floors.
Paramedics rushed the victim into an ambulance, doing their best to protect him from the brutally cold temperatures.
He was taken to Harlem Hospital in critical condition.
"He was in a lot of pain," a neighbor said. "He said 'Call the cops!'"
Resident say the elevators are constantly under repair and not in use, and some say climbing 20 flights of stairs is just unacceptable.
No one answered the door at the victim's 11th floor apartment, but neighbors say his son went to the hospital with him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, elevator accident, new york news
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt 6 min ago
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting' 44 min ago
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos