New York News
Elderly man critical after being trapped in elevator
EAST HARLEM -- An 85-year-old man is in critical condition following an elevator accident in Harlem Sunday night.
The incident happened at the Wilson Houses on 105th Street just after 5 p.m.
Firefighters say the man was trapped in an elevator between the first and second floors and is suffering from a leg fracture after most of his body was trapped inside the elevator as his feet dangled outside between floors.
Paramedics rushed the victim into an ambulance, doing their best to protect him from the brutally cold temperatures.
He was taken to Harlem Hospital in critical condition.
"He was in a lot of pain," a neighbor said. "He said 'Call the cops!'"
Resident say the elevators are constantly under repair and not in use, and some say climbing 20 flights of stairs is just unacceptable.
No one answered the door at the victim's 11th floor apartment, but neighbors say his son went to the hospital with him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, elevator accident, new york news
- Falling ice triggered by latest winter storm
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Stone lions vandalized at Chicago museum
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Pre-high blood pressure can increase stroke risk, study finds
- Snow carving left by artist at State, Van Buren
- Political consultant hit by falling ice
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Chicago students take part in poetry festival
- Video: Ice chunks undulate on Lake Michigan
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping