New York News
No jail for Asst. DA charged with attacking EMT
NEW YORK -- An Assistant District Attorney charged wtih assaulting an EMT could escape serving any jail time.
"He left me with physical injuries I have to deal with every day!" said Teresa Soler, an Emergency Medical Technician.
Teresa Soler is furious.
Three months after she was allegedly grabbed by the neck and choked-then punched repeatedly in her face, her stomach, and her legs; Eyewitness News has learned that Michael Jaccarino, the man charged with attacking her, won't serve a day in jail.
Ms. Soler is convinced he's getting special treatment because Jaccarino is an assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn.
"This man assaulted me, he could have killed me, and he's going to get a slap on the wrist?" Soler said.
Ms. Soler is an EMT.
She and her partner were called to the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge by police, where a man was wandering the roadway, apparently intoxicated.
She says it seemed routine, until she tried to strap him into the back of the ambulance.
"I felt like he could have killed me. He had his forearm on my neck, obstructing my breathing, and had me pinned to the stretcher. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't scream, I couldn't swallow, and had he not let go of me, my partner would have opened the door and found me dead," Soler said.
Eyewitness News has learned that the Manhattan DA will allow Jaccarino to plead guilty to "reckless assault", a class-A misdemeanor.
The sentence is 10 days of community service and no jail time.
The president of the EMT's Union says it sends a terrible message.
"It leaves a very nasty taste in their mouths because it looks like this person is being treated differently," said Israel Miranda, Local #2507 EMT's Union.
"It was a crime and he victimized somebody and how can he be an officer of the court and in good faith either defend or prosecute somebody. That's just an outrage," Soler said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, assault, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs 53 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 49 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Accident closes Chicago Skyway inbound lanes, 5 injured 48 min ago
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked
- Pope honored as Catholics gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe 15 min ago
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths 44 min ago
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs 43 min ago
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest 47 min ago
- Styrofoam product ban proposed in Chicago
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city,...
53 min ago
- Settlement reached after lottery winner's...
27 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
49 min ago