New York News
Boy killed in Brooklyn fire started by space heater
FLATBUSH -- Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.
The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building on Bedford Avenue in the Flatbush neighborhood.
Henry Barnes lives across the street. He told The New York Times he was awaked by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.
He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."
The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.
Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, fire death, new york news
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday 14 min ago
- Driver questioned in deadly Skokie crash
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation 17 min ago
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Toy Parade gathers gifts for children in need
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday
14 min ago