New York News
Police search for driver in West Side Highway in hit-and-run
NEW YORK -- Police are trying to track down the hit and run driver who killed a recent college graduate on the West Side Highway.
"He worked hard to play hard, he was always getting maximum return from his efforts," said the victim, Andrew's brother Jeff Quinn.
At about 1 on Saturday morning, Andrew met up with friends in Chelsea, but got separated from the group. Andrew's roommate, Ryan Swisher was there, and before heading home, sent Andrew a text asking where he was.
"I didn't think of anything the night of, until the next morning when I heard from his father," said Swisher.
Andrew's father told Swisher that his buddy was dead.
Police say Andrew was crossing 12th Avenue at 23rd Street, when someone who was driving on the dark West Side Highway hit and killed him.
Swisher believes Andrew was heading to get a cab to come home. Officials say four complete strangers tried to help Andrew - one gave him CPR. For that, Andrew's mother, Linda is grateful, knowing her son did not die alone.
"There's somebody out there that cared enough to do that for a perfect stranger, and that is phenomenal," adds Linda.
In fact, 'phenomenal' is a word often used to describe Andrew. He just graduated from Cornell, where he received high accolades, and was excelling at his new job as a real estate analyst Tishman Hotel and Realty.
Andrew was also an avid skier who traveled the world, and one day dreamed of opening his own ski resort. Now there is a gaping hole in the Quinn's tight-knit family.
new york city, west side highway, hit and run accident, new york news, kemberly richardson
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night 55 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet 22 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 25 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77
37 min ago
- Divvy Week kicks off in Chicago
59 min ago