New York News
Police: Suspect in Queens rape apprehended at JFK with stun gun
NEW YORK -- Police say a Greek national wanted for raping his ex-girlfriend in Queens was taken into custody at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where he was apparently attempting to flee the country.
The suspect, identified as 23-year-old Prodromos Vasilopoulos, was passing through security at Terminal 4, en route to Greece, when he was stopped at around 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, according to officials.
Vasilopoulos was reportedly caught with a stun gun still in his possession. The weapon, believed to be have been used in the attack, was in a carry-on bag. Screeners at the airport had apparently missed it.
Authorities say he pretended to be a UPS deliveryman to gain entrance Tuesday to the 19-year-old woman's apartment, where he allegedly beat and raped her.
Vasilopoulos was to be arraigned Thursday on various charges, including predatory sexual assault and criminal possession of a weapon.
If convicted, he faces up to 25 years to life in prison.
new york city, rape, jfk international airport, arrest, new york news
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 19 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Joe McGinniss dies at 71 after cancer battle 18 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 58 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
19 min ago