New York News
Police: Suspect in Queens rape apprehended at JFK with stun gun
NEW YORK -- Police say a Greek national wanted for raping his ex-girlfriend in Queens was taken into custody at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where he was apparently attempting to flee the country.
The suspect, identified as 23-year-old Prodromos Vasilopoulos, was passing through security at Terminal 4, en route to Greece, when he was stopped at around 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, according to officials.
Vasilopoulos was reportedly caught with a stun gun still in his possession. The weapon, believed to be have been used in the attack, was in a carry-on bag. Screeners at the airport had apparently missed it.
Authorities say he pretended to be a UPS deliveryman to gain entrance Tuesday to the 19-year-old woman's apartment, where he allegedly beat and raped her.
Vasilopoulos was to be arraigned Thursday on various charges, including predatory sexual assault and criminal possession of a weapon.
If convicted, he faces up to 25 years to life in prison.
new york city, rape, jfk international airport, arrest, new york news
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain 30 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault 29 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence 59 min ago
- Culver's in Carol Stream raises money child with leukemia 4 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing...
30 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
29 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
22 min ago