New York News
Argentinians in New York proud of new pope
NEW YORK -- Latin America is bursting with pride over the announcement that one of their own is now pope, and so are Argentinians in New York City.
There are small of pockets of Argentinians in Corona and nearby Jackson Heights, and they have great pride in their new pope.
"Too much, too much. I have a goose bump, I have a goose bump. My body is shaking since they told me," said Patty Juan, an Argentinian.
The pope is a fellow Argentinian and Patty Juan and her friends now place great trust in him.
"There have been a lot of problems. Hopefully he will do the part and he'll restore the faith," said Cathy Gonzalez, an Argentinean.
Outside Rio de la Plata in Corona where native Argentinians enjoy their coffee and rich pastry, there is great pride in the new pope and his heritage.
"We're very proud and very happy. First of all he's Spanish and most of all he's Argentinian," said Christian Giminez, the store's manager.
Outside the National Cathedral in Buenos Aires, they cheered, they chanted, and waved their flags with pride, as they did back in Queens, expressing the joy in their new pope.
"This was probably the most emotional thing I ever felt," one resident said.
Argentina has the 11th largest population of Catholics in the world.
new york city, corona, queens, pope francis, new york news, tim fleischer
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 35 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boy, 15, charged in shooting of boy, 14, on city's South Side 55 min ago
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77