New York News
12 hurt after car crashes onto Brooklyn sidewalk
NEW YORK -- 12 people were injured when a car drove on to a sidewalk and into scaffolding in Brooklyn Saturday night.
It happened at Utica Avenue and Church Avenue in East Flatbush at 6:47 p.m.
Police say all of the crash victims have been upgraded to stable condition.
The accident unfolded on a busy Saturday evening with the sidewalks packed with people.
In an instant, the car barreled towards the bus stop and there was nothing people standing there could do.
An eyewitness recorded first-responders rushing victims into ambulances and firefighters searching for the injured underneath the wreckage.
For some who watched it unfold, it was too much to take.
12 pedestrians were hurt and sources tell Eyewitness News they include a grandmother, a mother and a toddler.
Mavis Reid was starring right into the front end of this speeding car. As the vehicle barreled right into a crowded bus stop, 12 people were hurt, including a 2-year-old little boy. He is alive but badly injured.
The vehicle hit scaffolding, which then fell; striking Mavis and her son in the head. He is still nursing a bad cut.
Denroy Reid tells Eyewitness News that he felt helpless as he watched his injured family in all of the chaos.
"It fell on him, he was on the ground, and the next guy helped me lift the scaffolding off of him," said Denroy.
Police say the accident happened when the driver of the crumpled Lincoln swerved to avoid a stationary vehicle on Utica Avenue, subsequently losing control and slamming into the scaffolding.
Both the driver and her passenger suffered minor injuries, but the same is not true for those who were hit, including the mother and her baby.
"It seemed like she was still alive because we saw a sign of her chest moving," Wynn said.
"It's Easter season you know, and I know it's a tough time for these families right now," Rev. Terry said.
Seven people were taken to Kings County Hospital, and five were transported to Brookdale Hospital.
A vigil was held on Monday night for the mother and son injured in the crash. The driver told police that her brakes failed.
new york city, east flatbush, brooklyn, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...