New York News
Car crashes into church, community center in Queens
ROCKAWAYS -- A driver lost control of a car and slammed into the side of a building housing a church and community center in Queens early Tuesday.
The incident happened at the one-story Arverne Pilgrim Church and Arverne by the Bay Community Center on Beach Channel Drive in the Rockaways just before 3 a.m.
The driver was treated for a non-life threatening injury.
The crash caused a gas leak, and buildings department inspectors were checking the structural integrity of the building.
The church still hasn't completed repairs following Superstorm Sandy.
"We are now recovering from Sandy, and we are in the process, we had to gut the whole place to get the mildew out," Pastor Dennis Loncke said. "So now we are in the process of putting up the walls, and the windows installed. So all the things that we had in there, women's bathrooms, is crushed and stuff like that."
Officials say about 90 percent of the sheet rock work inside the building had been completed and all the mold removed. At one point after the storm, there were 54 inches of water inside.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
new york city, queens, rockaways, accident, superstorm sandy, new york news
- Riverdale body, Chicago missing girl case merge, police say 2 min ago
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Unclaimed items auctioned off by treasurer's office 11 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute 37 min ago
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- Late winter snow shuts schools, offices on East Coast
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Riverdale body, Chicago missing girl case...
2 min ago