New York News
Man charged in on-camera Brooklyn subway attack
NEW YORK -- A 21 year old suspect is charged with robbery and assault, and his victim is glad that he has been taken off the streets.
"It's crazy. I don't understand. Is he sick?" said Dina Perez, still haunted by the brutal beating she suffered, even though police have now arrested and charged 21-year old Aidan Folan with that vicious assault.
That disturbing video shows the suspect walking along side Dina down the stairs. Then suddenly at the bottom he pounces. What seems like an endless beating is caught on a security camera in the 18th avenue subway station back on March 9th.
As Dina told Eyewitness News in an exclusive interview, she pleaded for him to stop.
"Why, why you hit me?," Dina Perez, 55, said she screamed at her attacker. "Why, why you hit me?"
Even as she is sprawled helpless on the ground her attacker keeps punching and brutally kicking her.
"He is strong. He keeps hitting me, hitting me, hitting me, hitting me," Perez said.
The beating left her with a badly bruised and swollen face, bruises on her body and back pain and a broken wrist.
In the end, her attacker didn't take her wallet or jewelry. Instead seen in the video he settles for an envelope with a small amount of cash.
Investigators say Dina identified Aidan Folan in a police lineup before his arrest.
But now, even with the arrest of a suspect, Freddie Perez says his wife is afraid to leave their home.
"She's been inside since this happened," he said.
Dinal also says she now sleeps sitting up because of the pain. Even then, sleep comes fitfully after bouts of uncontrollable shaking.
new york city, borough park, brooklyn, robbery, assault, subway crime, new york news, tim fleischer
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary