New York News
Police chase gunman in Crown Heights
CROWN HEIGHTS, Brooklyn -- It was a wild scene when a man started randomly firing off his gun in the middle of the afternoon in Crown Heights.
But, an unmarked police car just happened to be up the block.
The frightening scene was captured on surveillance cameras, showing the gunman opening fire.
"I heard like maybe four shots, and right after that I was like, 'What was that?'" said Nancy Lazu, an eyewitness.
If you look closely at the surveillance video, you can count the puffs of smoke coming from suspect's gun. All gunshots were fired on a Crown Heights corner on a sunny afternoon.
"We thought it was crazy, like it was just, a woman was on the corner kneeling down scared and it was just shots ringing out from everywhere," said Evangeline Byars, an eyewitness.
Police say 20-year-old Kevon Ferrell is the man in the video with the gun.
Around 2:20 Tuesday afternoon, they say he was standing at corner of Bedford Avenue and Crown Street, and opened fire into parked car across the street.
Witnesses say, the person in the car shot back.
"We have video showing the individual was shooting into a vehicle, officers did hear the shots and responded," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
But an undercover car was also parked on the corner.
In the video, you see it speeding towards Ferrell, and he takes off down the street.
Police say he tossed a .38 caliber handgun gun during the escape attempt.
He turned around, and ran back towards the intersection.
And the unmarked car speeds down a one-way street in reverse, spins around, then takes off after gunman.
"There had to be 40 police officers that came on the scene, they had to hit one of the guys with their car to stop him," Byars said.
Wednesday afternoon, a uniformed NYPD officer stands at the same intersection, a presence to deter a repeat performance.
"It came out of nowhere, you know, I couldn't understand how or why, I've never seen anything so close to my home like that," Lazu said.
new york city, shooting, brooklyn, crown heights, new york news, darla miles
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop 55 min ago
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Accused NU professor will not teach spring quarter
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler