New York News
NYPD officer accused in conspiracy to rob drug dealers
NEW YORK -- An NYPD officer is due in court Thursday, accused of being part of an elaborate crime ring to rob drug dealers.
Jose Tejada, a 17-year veteran of the force, was arrested Wednesday night as he stepped off a plane at JFK Airport from the Dominican Republic.
According to police, Tejada began planning to rob drug dealers more than a decade ago. The conspiracy allegedly dates back to 2001.
Prosecutors allege that Tejada took part in three robberies in 2006 and 2007, in which he used his police issued service weapon, wore his uniform and drove a cop car. The 45-year-old is also accused of supplying the crew with NYPD equipment used in more than 100 robberies that netted 250 kilograms of cocaine and $1 million in drug proceeds.
Tejada also allegedly ran names of crew members through law enforcement databases to see if there were active warrants out against any of them.
Tejada was assigned to the 28th Precinct in Harlem at the time, but is presently housing cop in the South Bronx.
Authorities say 21 members of the robbery crew, including a second NYPD officer, Emmanuel Tavarez, and an auxiliary NYPD officer, have previously been convicted in the case.
According to the criminal complaint, Tejada also let them use his Manhattan apartment.
new york city, police officer arrested, new york news, carolina leid
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits