New York News
Fire damages synagogue, home in Brooklyn
NEW YORK -- The flames were shooting out of the top floor of the private home in Midwood.
The fire broke out in the home on East 27th Street just before 10 a.m.
The home of Rabbi Chanoch Ashkenazi is also home to his synagogue. His temple has served this tightly knit orthodox Jewish community in Brooklyn for nearly 40 years until today.
"You see what happened. Unfortunately, an act of God. What we can do?" he said.
It took about 75 firefighters to tackle the smoky blaze.
The rabbi's wife was home at the time it started, and then she ran out.
"I was alone in the whole house," she said. "I did what I had to do. God gave me the strength."
The next challenge -- to save 4 different torahs inside the temple. Firefighters risked smoke inhalation and the threat of a building collapse, to do save all four. Three firefighters were injured in the blaze.
"A couple of minutes into the operation, we found out where the torahs were. The guys went in there, and we did remove them safely," Chief Matthew Nelson of the FDNY said.
Numerous prayer books are either damaged or destroyed as well as the rabbi's father's possessions from the holocaust.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
LINK: PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE
new york city, firefighter injured, fire, new york news, stacey sager
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 12 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 8 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 8 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 11 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 to Go, December 20, 2013
30 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
8 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos